Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"The Party of the Big Tent"

Listening to the march of the Republican primaries, I am reminded of a time in my youth, when the Republicans were the "Party of the Big Tent". As I listen to people slice & dice the issues into narrower and narrower segments, I long for that sentiment of 'room for all.'

Anyone who's ever planned a wedding knows that bigger tents allow for more friends and bigger parties. These days, however, the tents seem to be getting smaller and smaller in every arena of our lives. There are fewer multi-generational family gatherings. We only look at media that reflects our own narrow view. The fragmenting is everywhere - in our workplaces, in our politics, and even in our churches. And this means that the parties are getting smaller and smaller.

Jesus said that in his Father's house, there were many mansions - perhaps the biggest tent of all. In God's house, we are all loved, we are all welcomed, we are all supported and we are all invited. I love this image. For me it has taken on different meanings at different times. Including people with AIDS, welcoming my dad's second wife and  her parents, children, their spouses and her grandchildren into our small family, opening my heart to the people of the nighttime streets in Chicago, finding church with a whole community of Filippinos.....

And, every time I have expanded my own tent, I've learned a lot, I've changed a lot and I've loved a lot. AND, the party has always been bigger, better, stronger and much more fun. It takes a lot to build bigger tents - they're unwieldy and harder to construct and more expensive.

I love serving in a church that works to explore the many mansions of God's House, that strives to be the biggest tent with the biggest party. I love the ways that we are all stretched and moved deeper and deeper into our faith as we seek to live out our radical welcome to all people. And, it is not easy in a world that encourages us at every turn to seek out the smaller and smaller tents. What I do know is that it is always, always meaningful and as I look at this picture, the little tent may be prettier, but I'd rather be at the party in the big tent and hope you'll join me and Manda and all of those who celebrate God's grace together at FCC!

Blessings Always, Laura Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post in a spirit of love for God, yourself, and each other. All comments are checked before posting. While you may post anonymously, we encourage you to leave your name!