Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Rainbows and Reminders"

Last Sunday, Madison Wright read the account of the giving of the rainbow (and the covenant) from Genesis. In this somewhat familiar and beautiful account, God says these most interesting words: "When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."

From earliest childhood, I was taught, like many of you, that rainbows are a sign of God's love and of promises for future generations. But, the text also says it is a reminder to God.

What if the rainbow is a sign of God's repentance for obliterating creation? What if it's really about forgiveness and new starts for God and for all of us? I haven't made my own peace with or sense of this notion, but I do see rainbows differently now. They are a sign that we all need reminders to be more forgiving, to be intentional about changing our behavior, to remember our past and to do something new and different. It's a call to be in right relationship with God and with each other. I invite you to comment on what you think of this disconcerting notion and engage in a bit of conversation.

Whatever you make of it, the next time you see a rainbow, it might be good for you to remember, that it is God's reminder of unconditional love for all of creation for all of time. And, be reminded that we too can reorient and recommit and reconcile with God and with each other! Any day, any time!

Wishing all of you blessings for the week ahead, Laura Lee

1 comment:

  1. I find this very interesting, as all my life I have been affected by Rainbows & Crows. So much so that I use the name Rainbow Crow when I am acting as a storyteller (among other things).
    This is because I have been given direction as to what & where to be or go in life by the crows and the Rainbows always tell me when I have reached my destination.
    All my stories start in tragedy or mishap, but emerge in peace,understanding and love in the form of a new beginning or revelation.
    I don't think that's much different than what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts on this post in a spirit of love for God, yourself, and each other. All comments are checked before posting. While you may post anonymously, we encourage you to leave your name!