Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sprucing Up

When I lived in Boston, I worked for an organization that had converted an old house to offices and meeting space. I loved that building, for it represented a job that I loved, working with people I loved, all of us trying to make the world a better place. I worked there for four years, so I really came to feel at home in the space. I didn't notice little chips in the paint or a few stray papers or a dusty bookcase - most of the time, none of that really registered with me.

After I moved to Texas for seminary, I went back to visit Boston, and I dropped in on my old workplace. Just around the time I was leaving, a new Executive Director had come on board, and there were some other staff shifts as well. I still remember the jolt of walking into that building - this time almost as a newcomer - and seeing that the space had been transformed. There was a new coat of paint, the clutter (which I hadn't noticed - but I sure noticed its absence!) was gone, even the lighting seemed different! All of the sudden, I saw the place in a new light, not only as my previous, comforting "home away from home," but also now as a space that any newcomer could walk in and feel immediately welcomed.



When I drove up to the church yesterday, I saw that lots of sprucing up is going on outside, too! Danny Fox and family, as well as many other helpful folks, are working hard to beautify our property. For those of us who have been here a while, this beautiful church building feels like a home away from home, and we may not have noticed the old vines and overgrown shrubbery and worn paint. But looking at it again with fresh eyes, I can see that this "sprucing up" will not only make the place more welcoming and inviting to newcomers, but it will also help us all see it anew. When you drive up this Sunday and each Sunday this summer, I hope you'll take a fresh look at our community space and help us continue to enhance its beauty, to help us continue to extend God's extravagant welcome.

Have a wonderful weekend - looking forward to seeing you soon!

Manda

Texts for this Sunday:
Psalm 30
Mark 5:21-43

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post in a spirit of love for God, yourself, and each other. All comments are checked before posting. While you may post anonymously, we encourage you to leave your name!